Universal Lubricants is so confident in our oil that we decided to put our product, Eco Ultra, to the test. A grueling 150,000-mile taxi cab field test in Las Vegas confirmed that Eco Ultra is a powerful choice for proven engine protection. Even through stop-and-go traffic with frequent idiling - in the relentless waves of summer heat and bitter winter lows - Eco Ultra delivered sufficient lubrication for sustained fuel economy.
- Motor Oil - Eco Ultra Synthetic Blend 5W-30 PCMO formulated with re-refined Group II+ base oil and compared to a premium PCMO formulated from virgin base oil
- Location - Las Vegas, Nevada
- Vehicles - Two, 2009 Chevrolet Impalas with 3.5 liter V-6 new GM engines
- Service - Severe service, with less than 20 mph average speed, constant stop-and-go traffic, frequent idling and harsh temps
- Duration - 150,000 miles
- Oil Drain - Every 7,500 and 10,000 miles (up to 3 times longer than manufacturer recommendations)
- Samples - Intermediate samples also collected at first 5,000 and 7,000 miles
- Taxi cab company employees removed and tore down the engines. Photos were taken of each individual part and laid out for inspection and evaluation.
- An immediate part-by-part inspection and evaluation was conducted on each engine element. Sludge and varnish ratings were recorded for the covers, rockers and head.
- Parts were wrapped and shipped to an independent lab to test and finalize the actual ratings.
- Exceptional Engine Protection
- Eco Ultra proved to deliver exceptional engine protection and performance, under the most punishing conditions.
- Superior Oxidation Control
- Eco Ultra provides superior oxidation control as compared with a premium competitive oil.
- Sustained Fuel Economy
- Even through constant stop-and-go traffic and frequent idling, Eco Ultra delivered sufficient lubrication for sustained fuel economy.
- Proven Wear Protection
- When the wear metals were analyzed, it was clear that Eco Ultra demonstrated exceptional wear protection well below industry-accepted limits.